Adventures at the Zoo

IMG_9918         Flashback to fourth grade, my 10-year-old self is bursting with excitement on the bus heading to the Bronx Zoo. The zoo was the best field trip in elementary school. Dressed in my school’s gym uniform, friends by my side, and my mom as a chaperone, it was a trip that went in the memory book.

IMG_9978

Flash forward to now; my 20-year-old self experienced that same feeling of anticipation when my dad wanted to take me and my older sister to the Bronx Zoo. Even in our 20s, my sister and me felt like little kids going on a field trip. Throughout the 40-minute car ride, we mapped out what animals we wanted to see first and what we were looking forward to the most. Of course, I was looking forward to seeing the elephants, giraffes, and tigers.

IMG_9889

When we finally arrived at the zoo, it felt like yesterday I was at the Bronx Zoo, not 10 years ago. Our adventure began with lots of walking, lots of animals, and lots of fun.

IMG_9903

IMG_9965

For this trip to the zoo, I was psyched to put together a zoo-like outfit. Back in fourth grade, my only option was my gray on gray gym uniform with white sneakers. However, on this trip to the zoo my love of elephant prints came into play. It was going to be a hot and humid day and I knew we would be doing a lot of walking, so I went for a comfy look. I decided to wear my elephant printed shorts, a simple flowy black tank, and a crochet short-sleeved sweater to complete the look.

IMG_9910

IMG_9947

My elephant printed shorts from Marshalls have been my go-to item when I want to be comfortable, yet stylish. I love the bold print, which includes elephants and a tribal design. These shorts were practical for a long day at the zoo. To keep with the effortless, casual theme, I matched my shorts with a simple black tank, also from Marshalls. To accent the shorts and tank, I layered the tank with a kimono like sweater from Apricot Lane, which gave my look a boho vibe. For shoes, I matched my outfit with simple, black sandals. Although these sandals from Forever 21 are not the most comfortable, I survived. Since we all know that I am obsessed with elephants, I accessorized my look with my favorite elephant necklace from Etsy. Although my outfit was not the typical safari uniform, I still had fun incorporating prints of animals I was going to see at the zoo.

IMG_9943

IMG_9937

IMG_9936

The highlight of my trip was spending quality time with my dad and sister. My favorite exhibits included the tigers, giraffes, sea lions, and polar bears. I was so happy we had the chance to ride the Wild Asia Monorail, the Bronx Zoo’s famous attraction. On the monorail, we saw all sorts of animals, including exotic deer, monkeys, red pandas, rhinos, and of course elephants. I caught a glimpse of the zoo’s only elephant, named Happy. Although so big and strong, Happy was so cute. I wanted to take her home, but I don’t think she would fit in the car.

IMG_9940

IMG_9974

It was great to spend a day off, doing something different than the usual hanging by the pool or going shopping. Being at the Bronx Zoo brought back old memories and of course created new ones too, like when my sister freaked out when a peacock came close to her when we were eating lunch. What a scaredy cat. After going to the Bronx Zoo, I am ready to go for a real safari ride through the jungle and desert.

IMG_9970

IMG_9941

Shorts: Marshalls (SIMILAR) (SIMILAR) | Top: Marshalls (SIMILAR) | Cardigan: Apricot Lane (SIMILAR) (SIMILAR)  |    Shoes: Forever 21 (SIMILAR) | Necklace: Etsy (SIMILAR) (SIMILAR)

56 Comments

1. July 22, 2015 / 9:08 am

As a child I loved zoo:) Btw: your outfit is awesome. Have a great day. xoxo

2. Lorna
    July 22, 2015 / 9:56 am

I love the zoo too! It brings back childhood memories. I’ve never seen a bear though!

Raindrops of Sapphire

3. July 22, 2015 / 11:23 pm

Love those shorts!! I traveled to Israel and Turkey and there were elephants on EVERYTHING (pants, shorts, dresses, you name it!). Glad that trend made its way back to the US!

Robin

4. July 23, 2015 / 1:27 pm

Oh this is such a great post sweetie! What a beautiful blog you have. You gain a new follower! 😉

I would like to invite you to check out my blog. I’m a life coach and every week, I post life coaching blogs and videos to help you achieve your dreams and live a balanced life. I would love to stay in touch with you and have you as part of the community! I hope to see you there and stay in touch! <3

Diana Bryant

http://www.ManhattanImageandStyle.com – Blog

http://www.DianaBryant.com – Web

5. July 23, 2015 / 1:50 pm

aww looks like fun! I havent been to the zoo in forever!

6. July 26, 2015 / 5:19 pm

Love your elephant print shorts! So fun and cute! Perfect for a day at the zoo 🙂

Sierra
    Sierra Elizabeth

7. July 27, 2015 / 5:06 am

It look amazing!!

8. July 28, 2015 / 11:46 am

Lovely pictures and lovely outfit! I love going to the zoo — it’s such a cool place to visit!

9. July 30, 2015 / 2:01 pm

Aww, I love the zoo! Your look is so cute and boho chic!

10. July 30, 2015 / 2:59 pm

this is so cute. I remember my first visit to the zoo. I can’t wait to bring my baby boy to the zoo one day! =)
    xo,
    nancy

11. July 30, 2015 / 9:46 pm

Absolutely loving those elephant printed shorts!! Couldn’t pick a more appropriate outfit for the zoo! Looks like you had an awesome day 🙂

xoXo Sara

12. Emma Walker
    July 31, 2015 / 8:21 pm

Perfect outfit for the zoo! Love your sweater. Just followed your blog seriously cannot wait to see more

Emma | With A City Dream

13. August 3, 2015 / 6:48 am

Killing’ it in the animal themed outfit. 100%.

And dude, totally with you on the excitement of going to the zoo. I went about two years ago to the Bronx Zoo, except I went in the middle of winter so it started snowing like crazy, forcing us to stay at the indoor exhibits. And then the snow leopard, who you would assume would LOVE THE SNOW, stayed hidden, haha. Typical.

JennifHsieh

14. August 3, 2015 / 2:51 pm

Amazing! You create so interesting posts and make very beautiful photos! Like your blog! Keep doing it!
    I’ll be happy to see you in my blog!)

Diana Cloudlet

15. Laura
    August 3, 2015 / 7:53 pm

Those shorts are such a cute print! And they look soooo comfy!

She Likes to Shop